Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fara

So far, I have avoided the hospital.  Maybe subconsciously I have been trying to avoid the most visible  signs of the desperation of Zimbabwe or maybe I've been busy.  Either way, I could not avoid it forever.

Yesterday morning our group split up into a variety of activities.  Mary Beth took a group to register orphans for her support program, the pastors went to a conference and Natalie, Maddie and I went for a walk.  This walk was more successful then notable previous walks.  Regularly getting lost early on in my stay seems to have helped me to find my way around now.  Our walk is a story in itself.  I will defiantly write about it soon.  It is an interesting story about me, Natalie, Maddie, Fatty, Lancelot and a bag of groundnuts.  

This story is about when I got back from the walk.  We returned a little after lunch and caught up with the other groups.  After sharing the story of our walk, Mary Beth and Cathy narrated their experiences with the orphans.  Our story was interesting, theirs was traumatizing.  

Mary Beth had sent one child (a nine year old I believe) to the hospital because they had an infected eye.  After examination, the doctor informed us that the child had a tumor in his eye.  The child, Fara, was sitting in the waiting room waiting to be transfered to Harare to have the tumor removed.  Cathy and I decided that we would go to the hospital and wait with him.  

We found Fara sitting alone on a bench with a tumor in his eye.  The teachers who had helped walk him to the hospital were outside socializing.  There was not a single person comforting the nine year old.  This really struck me.  Fara had no one.  He was an orphans living with his step-parents (ya, step-parents, we are trying to figure that out too).  His school sweater was too big, which covered the large rip down the side of his pants.  

Cathy and I sat down and tried to comfort Fara, which was difficult to say the least.  How do you comfort a nine year old orphan with a tumor in his eye?

Me:  "Unonzi ani?" (What is your name?)
Fara: "Fara"
Me: "Ndinonzi Ben, anonzi Cathy.  unoda kudya here?" (My name is Ben and she is Cathy.  Do you want to eat?)

Fara didnt even respond.  He just grabbed the granola bar we were offering, clapping his hands in thanks.  He ate two granola bars in less than a minute.  

The doctor later informed us that they couldnt do anything without the stepfathers permission, so Fara was sent home.  I am going back today, but  I am guessing that the family will not be able to afford the operation.  In that case, Fara will be lucky to blind.

As we were leaving the hospital, Diane approaches the boy and offers him a little stuffed dog.  And Fara smiled and laughed a little.  This was unbelievable.  Fara was scared, hungry and confused, but stilled have room to smile.  The last memory I have of Fara is him walked away from the hospital holding his stuffed dog, smiling.  I have no idea how he managed to smile, but it was a sight to see.

In shona, Fara means happiness.

4 comments:

  1. We Offer Loan At A Very Low Rate Of 3%. If Interested, Kindly Contact Us via email now (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:{urgentloan22@gmail.com} Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO YOU NEED FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE? Contact PCM FINANCE GROUP! for any kind of financial needs! Are you an investor, business minded, worker, student or do you need startup funds? We offer low interest rate (3%) annual, 1 to 25 years duration and easy access of loan funds within 24 to 48 hours. Minimum amount $10,000.00 to $100,000,000.00 maximum (USD, EUR, GBP). E-mail {urgentloan22@gmail.com}We Offer Loan At A Very Low Rate Of 3%. If Interested, Kindly Contact Us Now.email us now reply to email {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes simplex been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr ubarlo but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr ubarlo, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after one weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up a , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer reach him through Email drubarlohome@gmail.com OR add on whatsapp +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete